· read, say and understand simple compound sentences.
1. Make enough copies of the picture cards and sentence cards for your students.
1. Using the picture cards or actions/drawings, elicit the actions on the cards.
2. Try to elicit a sentence for each card using ‘like’ or ‘enjoy’.
3. Bring 3-4 students in front of the class to demonstrate the activity.
4. Hand one picture card to a student.
5. Hand the other students one sentence each including the matching sentence card.
6. Have the students say their sentences to the student with the picture card.
7. Have the students that match stand together.
8. Take back the cards and distribute all the cards to the class.
9. Have them do the activity and monitor to help.
Write the numbers 1 to 6 across the board. Instruct the finished pairs to bring their exercise books with them to the front of the class. They should stand under their matching number 1-6. The pairs should now mix with the others who have completed the activity and write all 6 sentences in their exercise books.
This activity can also be used with other matching sets of cards for example, use it with beginnings and endings of sentences, questions and answers, and so on.
This cards can also be used in a variety of ways with the general subject of hobbies for example, you can use the sentence and picture cards for memory games.
This type of matching activity can be used with other types of grammar or vocabulary.
It’s great speaking/listening practice and the kids really enjoy it!