· identify the initial sound
1. Prepare flashcards with the first letter removed
1. Review the sounds (s, a, t, p, m, n).
2. Review of the key words (ant, apple, axe, tin, tap, top, pin, pat, pen, sun, sat, saw, mat, map, mop, net, nap, nest)
3. Put the flashcards with the first letter removed on the whiteboard.
4. Teacher says the word and the pupils find the picture and fill in the blanks with correct letters.
5. Pupils do the simple exercise, see Appendix 1, without looking at the answer.
6. Pupils check their answers with their partner.
Pupils can cut, paste and label pictures in a mini book as their personal picture dictionary.
The teacher can put the letters on the white board and pupils say the words containing the sounds.
Pupils can categorise the words according to the initial sound.
Teacher can write the letters on a card and put them on the table. Teacher says the words and pupils tap the card.
Practise the key words first before proceeding to the activity.
Make sure pupils write the letters correctly. If pupils write the letters incorrectly, address the mistakes on Step 4.