· blend the phonemes into recognizable words
1. Copy and enlarge all the puzzle sets and cut them into pieces.
2. Put each set on a table/station.
3. To make the word book: cut out the box from the paper, then fold the paper into 8 boxes matching the lines on the diagram. Unfold the paper, and cut along the dotted lines. Fold the entire paper in half horizontally with the cut in the middle. Hold the two smaller ends of the paper and push them together so two additional pages form. Finally, fold either side of the paper to complete the four page book. Make one book for each group.
1. Revise the vocabulary of /Λ/ sounds by using flashcards.
2. Divide pupils into 6-7 groups. Put each set of puzzles on a table.
3. Give instructions:
a. Every group will get an empty book of /Λ/.
b. Every group will go to a respective table.
c. When the teacher says go, every group will be given 2 minutes to make the puzzle pieces into a picture of an object.
d. The pupils write the name of the object in their book and separate the pieces again before they move stations.
e. After the teacher says change, every group will move to the next puzzle (station) and repeat the step C and D until they reach their last station.
4. Pupils sit in their original groups.
5. Show each picture one by one. Pupils blend the sounds together.
6. Award points to the group with the correct spelling and correct pronunciation of the phonemes. The winning group can be given a reward.
Pupils can write a simple sentence in their books for each word. For example: This is a mug. This is a sun, and so on.
The puzzle can be the words, for example-sun, rug- and the pupils have to find/draw the picture of the word.
This activity can be used with a variety of sounds. The students really love to make puzzles and vocabulary books.