· match spoken words to written words
1. Prepare a list of vocabulary
1. Write the vocabulary words in a grid in the centre of the whiteboard and cover each word with a piece of paper.
2. Write the same words but in a different order in a list next to the grid (you will need one list per team).
3. Divide pupils into teams. Each team lines up in front of their list.
4. The second pupil in line reads out a word from the team’s list.
5. The first pupil must go the board and find the word from the grid of hidden words.
6. When they find the word, they go their team’s list and mark the word.
7. After the pupil has found the word they go to the end of the line.
8. Repeat steps 4 – 7 until one team has found all of the words.
9. The team who completes the list first is the winner.
In pairs, have the pupils quiz each other on the spelling of the words.
Use picture cards instead of words under the sheets of paper so pupils can match the words to the pictures.
Have the pupil write the word instead of providing a list (you will need to provide the team with a list of words for this variation).
A permanent grid can be made on cardboard. Make plastic strips so that the words can be erased and reused.