· recognise and reproduce the sounds
1. prepare the phonics cards and hoops
1. Make space in the class, move the table and chairs to the side.
2. Place the hoops in the middle of the classroom’s floor (see photo 1)
3. Put one chosen phonics card in each hoop.
4. Get the class to make a big circle around the hoops.
5. Choose 5 students to make a smaller inner circle around the hoops.
6. Start the music. The smaller circle walk round the hoops. All other students sing along and clap to the music.
7. When the music stops, the smaller group stop walking. The teacher says one of the four sounds and the students in the smaller group must step in the hoop with the correct phonics card.
8. The teacher asks the whole class if it is correct.
9. Next the teacher chooses 5 new students and repeats the game.
10. Can repeat as many times as the teacher wants, but make sure all students have the opportunity to be in the smaller circle.
After the games, the pupils can practice the written form of phonics (the letters) by doing some writing exercises. They should be calm after doing this movement activity.
It is possible to add a competitive element and record the winner’s scores by dividing the class into 4 teams for example.
Use uplifting music they already know the words to in order to add excitement and motivation!