· recognize and pronounce phonemes. group the words correctly by sound
1. Print the flashcards and gather the materials
1. Introduce phonics sounds “ee” and “ai” with chant on Pg. 13 of Year 2 Text
a. Students clap hands when they hear “ee” sound.
b. Students stamp feet when they hear “ai” sound.
2. Introduce the sounds and words using flashcards.
3. Mix up the flashcards and ask students to group the words by sound.
4. Listening game – Bull’s-eye
a. Divide the class into teams.
b. Draw a line down the centre of the board and write “ai” on one side and “ee” on the other. Divide these halves into upper and lower sections.
c. The teacher says a word, and the student throws a ball at the correct side of the board. The student must also repeat the word as he/she throws the ball.
d. If the ball hits the top half of the board, the student gets 10 points. If it hits the lower half of the board, the student gets 5 points.
e. Make sure each student has a chance to throw the ball.
5. Worksheet – Colour the pictures and fill in the blanks.
6. Review the chant together at the end of class.
Review the chant on Pg. 13 and ask comprehension questions such as:
· Where is the bee?
· Where is the snail?
· Where is the queen?
Flashcards can be used in different ways:
· Matching game
· Memory game
This activity was created specifically for “ai” and “ee” sounds but the game could be used for any phoneme pairs.