· pronounce words with a given phoneme correctly
· identify words with a given phoneme correctly
1. Sort the word cards into groups according to the colour of paper they are printed on.
2. Prepare the prizes in a little pot.
1. Review the phoneme that the pupils have been learning by asking them to give examples verbally.
2. Split the pupils into small groups and give each group a set of word cards.
3. Ask the groups to spread the word cards around their desk.
4. Draw a score chart on the board.
5. Call out one of the words that can be found on the word cards.
6. The pupils have to find that word and hold it in the air.
7. The first group to do this correctly gets 3 points, the second group gets 2 points and the third group gets 1 point. Record these scores on the chart on the board.
8. Repeat with a number of different words.
9. Add up the scores and announce the winners, who get to pick a prize from the little pot.
Ask the pupils to think as many words as they can that have the phoneme in and make a mind map.
You could ask each member of the groups to take it in turns to find a word.
You can make this activity easier or harder depending on the number of word cards you give them and the difficulty of the words written on them.
You could choose a pupil to call out the words instead of you.
This is a great activity for assessing if the pupils have understood a particular phoneme.