· identify phonemes and blend to form simple vocabulary items
1. Prepare Phonics Dice by make the big dice as above with a plastic pocket for each side.
2. Print 6 word cards, one for each plastic pocket on the dice
3. Alternative: If you can’t make plastic pockets, you can directly stick the word card on each side using blue tack.
1. Teacher forms pupils into group of 4 or 5 pupils.
2. Teacher explains the instructions on how to play the game.
3. Each group will get a phonics dice.
4. Pupils need to throw the dice.
5. The pupil then needs to segment the word on the top of the dice, and say the sounds, then blend it and form a word. For example: m-a-n à man
6. Every pupil in the group takes their turn to do this task.
To assess pupils’ ability to blends phonemes that they have learnt, and form into words, you can ask 1 group to segment the word into individual phonemes and the other group to guess the word. For example; Group A, do segmenting (n-a-p) and Group C guess the word (nap).You can make this a competition and write the score on the board. The group with the most correct words will be the winner.
You can replace the word cards to teach any phonic sounds, for example; /h/ /r/ /b/. See variation word cards.
During the teaching, teacher should monitor the activity and guide any pupil who is finding it difficult. The teacher can encourage stronger pupils to help the slower learners in their group.