· write simple messages to friends.
1. Print/copy enough of the two worksheets to go around the class, one per child.
1. Give out the gap fill sheets, one per child.
2. Pupils complete the gap fill sheets creating messages they can send to their friends.
3. When a pupil finishes the gap fill sheet the teacher hands them an SMS writing sheet.
4. Pupils select one of their created messages and copy it onto the SMS writing sheet.
5. Pupils ‘send’ their messages by taking their completed SMS writing sheets to their friends.
Other activities focussing on greetings e.g. making greetings cards, performing dialogues with a greeting focus.
The teacher could ask the children to bring a phone number of a friend or family member to class. Children who perform well in the activity could be rewarded by having their message sent as an actual SMS to the phone number they’ve provided.
Stronger students can be encouraged to create their own messages without following the gap fill template.
Print out spare SMS writing sheets so fast finishers can have more than one go.