· identify colours and colour words
1. Make one set of laminated colour puppets attached to sticks.
2. Make one set of colour words per group; each set of words should include all the target colours.
1. Review the colours by singing the Rainbow Song:
‘Red and yellow and pink and green, orange and purple and blue.
I can sing a rainbow, sing a rainbow, sing a rainbow too’.
Seven pupils stand in front each holding a colour stick puppet. As class sing the song, the pupils in front hold up their puppet when they hear their colour.
2. Divide class into groups and give each group a set of colour word cards.
3. Group leaders give each member of their group a colour word card.
4. Teacher holds up one colour stick puppet and asks, ‘What colour is this?’
5. The pupil in each group with that colour word stands up, shows their word card and reads it aloud.
6. Teacher gives a point to each group that has the correct answer.
7. Repeat steps 4-6 with the other colours.
Pupils work in groups .Place colour word cards face down in the middle. Pupils take turns to pick up a card, show it to a friend and ask ‘What colour is this?’ If the friend reads the word correctly, they keep it.
Have a box of different coloured objects. Have colour word cards folded in a pot. Pupils take a word card, read it and find something of that colour in the box.
Have a number of different colour word cards hidden around the room. Pupils work in pairs to find a complete set.
Each pupil is given a small piece of paper and some blue-tack. They write a colour word on their paper, give their word to a friend who reads it and then goes and matches it to something of that colour in the classroom.
For step 4 above, have pupils take turns to hold up the stick puppets and ask the question ‘What colour is this?’
Instead of using colour stick puppets, use 3D objects.
After the activity, stick the colour word cards in the English Corner or on the Display Board with a sheet of paper under each. Pupils draw pictures or write words of things under the appropriate colour word.