· spell words correctly.
1. Draw grid on plain cardboard and write out the target vocabulary, write one letter per square.
2. Make about five words per set using different coloured markers for each word.
3. Cut up the letter squares and store the sets in different plastic bags.
1. After practicing the target language with the class, put them into groups.
2. Give each group a set of cards – give different sets of words to each group.
3. Give a time limit of about 5 minutes for groups to spell the words.
4. When they have finished one set they can swap and spell a new set.
Pupils can work in pairs to spell the words.
The class can have a class spelling bee competition.
Pupils can help prepare the cards in class.
It can be used with other activities as part of a skills circuit.
Remind pupils to separate the colours first to get the letters for the word together.
Encourage pupils to work together as a group.
Label the bag with the category of words it contains for easy identification.