· blend and segment words
1. Prepare one sample of the word slider (see following page for instructions).
1. The teacher shows a completed word slider to the class.
2. The teacher explains how to make the word slider:
3. The teacher demonstrates the activity:
4. Pupils work in pair and receive one word slider and matching set of word cards.
5. Pupil A picks a word card and blends and segments the word on it.
6. Pupil B uses the word slider to form the word. When ready, he segments and blends the word again.
7. Pupil B shows pupil A the answer to compare.
The teacher says a word; the pupils work in pairs and form it using the word slider. The teacher checks the answers.
Two pupils form a word using the word slider and then show it to another pair to read aloud (blend and segment).
Draw the instructions to make the word slider (with measurements) on the blackboard for pupils to refer to while making their word sliders.